Settler Cemetery near Linda Hall in Alberta

The Estonian Cemetery and Chapel were established in April, 1906 on a parcel of land about a mile east of present-day Linda Hall. The land was part of a grant from the Alberta Government. The first caretaker of burials was English-speaking Hans Asberg in 1906. In 1909, the job was taken over by Gustav Nicklom. In subsequent years, Martin Hennel, Joseph Tipman Jr., Jay Tipman and Vern Raho maintained the burial records. The local people helped maintain the Cemetery and gave generously of their time and money to build a fence around the burial plots. In 1996, a trust fund was established for the perpetual care and maintenance of the Cemetery and Chapel grounds. Approximately 100 Estonian pioneer family members are buried in the Cemetery. "May they rest in Peace and not be forgotten."

Statue of 'Linda' at Stettler Cemetery in 1960s. Pictured is the front and back cover of the Summer 2011, Issue 34 of AjaKaja, The magazine is published semi-annually by the Alberta Estonian Heritage Society.

Alberta's Estonian Heritage